If you have ever wondered what all that white stuff coming off your head is, we will give you a hint… it’s just dandruff.
Whether you have tried and tested countless anti dandruff shampoos and treatments with little success or you haven’t bothered with anything just yet. Don’t give up hope. We have put together some natural remedies you can grab straight from your kitchen cupboard (yes really!)
Treat the white stuff once and for all with our recommended natural treatments… and discover how to get rid of dandruff naturally.
What causes dandruff?
Dandruff is caused when the natural cycle of skin renewal is speeded up. This leads to patches of dead skin forming on the surface of the scalp, which come away into the hair, resulting in flakes, which are associated with dandruff.
Other common causes for dandruff:
• Emotional stress
• Very hot or cold climates
• Using hair products such as hairspray, hair gel and hair mousse
• Not washing your hair or, conversely, washing your hair too much. You can irritate your scalp if you shampoo your hair too often
• Skin conditions such as psoriasis or eczema. Two common skin conditions that can cause skin to become dry, red and/or flaky
SEE ALSO: Your grooming guide to becoming superman: THE HAIR
Recommended natural remedies to treat dandruff
Tea tree oil
Here are just some of the reasons as to why tea tree oil is great for keeping not only dandruff but also all scalp problems at bay.
• Acts as an anti fungal that kills the bacteria causing the over production of skin cells which creates dandruff
• It has powerful antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to treat an itchy scalp more effectively
• It effectively moisturises the hair and scalp so it is one of the best solutions for a dry and itchy scalp
• Unclogs sebum blocking the hair follicles and then clearing up bacterial and fungal infections
• Removes excess oil and other dirt particles to make your hair shiny and healthy
RECOMMENDED: Tea Tree Essential Oil from Fushi
Try tea tree and olive oil treatment for dandruff
• Take 5 drops of tea tree oil and mix this with at least a tablespoon of warm olive oil
• Apply the oil to the scalp and hair. Leave it for a few hours or overnight
• Repeat this process once a day for 3 consecutive days
This oil works wonders for reconditioning dry/damaged hair whilst also treating hair that suffers from dandruff. Coconut oil is ideal for penetrating the hair shaft, getting past the cuticle, repairing and preventing damage from the inside out. Lauric acid, capric acid, and vitamin E (which is all present in coconut oil) helps restructure hair, increases hair’s strength by preventing protein loss, and vastly improving shine.
RECOMMENDED: Coconut Oil from Fushi
For a deep conditioning treatment:
• Massage a couple of tablespoons of the coconut oil into your clean, damp hair and scalp
• If your coconut oil is in a solid state, you will need to warm the oil gently to create a liquid
• Allow the oil to sit on your hair for 20-30 minutes after application
Using lemon on dandruff helps to reduce scalp itch. Lemon helps balance potenz hydrogen (pH) levels and reduces excessive oils that can be a factor in dandruff. Its citric acid helps you to fight dandruff from the roots of the hair follicles. Using lemon on dandruff problems provides fast and effective results.
RECOMMENDED: Lemon Essential Oil from Fushi
A whole lemon or bottled lemon juice will both work perfectly fine. Although it’s important to note that bottled juice shouldn’t contain any other additives (always read the label)
• Add a spoonful of lemon juice mixed with a glass of warm water
This can be used as a rinse to nourish and hydrate your hair. Leaving it silky and soft to touch (whilst also dandruff free!)
Olive oil moisturises dry areas that may be flaking off. Olive oil can soak into thick, scaly areas on the scalp that cause persistent dandruff issues, hydrating them enough to allow them to loosen and release in a large piece instead of smaller flakes. This often puts an end to dandruff issues because the spot can finally heal over.
An overnight olive oil soak is the best way to take care of severe dandruff issues. It allows the oil to really moisutirse your scalp. It may leave your hair quite greasy, though, so make sure you have plenty of time to wash it next.
• Pour 8-10 drops of olive oil into your palm and massage it into your scalp
• Place a shower cap over your head to keep from staining your sheets with oil
• Allow the treatment to penetrate your scalp for at least 8 hours
• Wash out the oil in the morning with warm water and shampoo