The first step to getting rid of dry hair is first finding out the causes and then looking at the types of solutions available. We have gathered the best ways for men to get rid of dry hair and itchy scalp.
Symptoms of dry hair
– Lacking smoothness and shine
– Looks and feels dried out (basically dead)
– Thick and curly
If the above are some of the symptoms that you are facing with your hair then you are probably suffering with dry hair. But don’t worry as treatment for dry hair can be quite simple, and replenishing your hair with moisturiser/conditioner is the key.
SEE ALSO: Is my hair gel making me bald?!
Causes of dry hair
Your hair can become dry if your scalp isn’t making enough oil to moisturise your hair, or if your hair is letting the moisture escape.
Moisture escaping from the scalp is usually the primary cause of dry hair. Also hair care products can contribute to dry hair too. This can include washing your hair too often, using harsh shampoos and conditioners or the wrong styling tools.
Solutions for dry hair
– Make sure that you condition your hair at least once a week with a deep conditioner. It doesn’t matter that your hair is short; you still must look after your hair to keep it looking and feeling healthy!
– Choose the right styling products for your hair type. Choose a hair styling product without alcohol. Many problems especially the ‘fixatives’ (those that can dry hard and are crunchy). These contain alcohol to help speed up the drying process but they do dry out your hair and scalp.
– Shampoo less is cooler water. For most men, a daily shampoo isn’t a problem, but if you are suffering with dry hair then you may want to try shampooing every other day. Be sure to use lukewarm water as this will help prevent scrubbing away too much of your hair’s natural oils.
– Try to style your hair with a boar-bristle or nylon brush (you will find one with the bristles extremely close together). This will help distribute the oils evenly down the hair strange and will help stimulate your scalp to produce oils naturally.
Watch our Beauty expert Lorraine Dallmeier, Botanical Skincare Scientist share her top tips for nourishing dry hair in this 3 minute video
Symptoms of a dry scalp
– Hair is flaking and dry
– Prone to dandruff
– Itchy scalp
Causes of a dry scalp
If you are suffering with a dry scalp then this means that your scalp isn’t making enough moisture. Your hair relies on oils made in the hair roots to keep your hair moisturised and looking healthy.
As you age, you hair will naturally make less oil. Since the roots are under your skin, dry scalp goes along the same lines as dry hair does (it is easy to get the two confused)
Dry scalp can peel and shed which leads to dandruff flakes on your scalp and shoulders.
Solutions for dry scalp
– Use tea tree oil – it has powerful antifungal and antibacterial properties and makes for an amazing home remedy for a dry scalp. The natural oils offer excellent nourishment and moisturisation, which can combat itchiness, flakiness and dryness. With frequent sue the oil can help prevent conditions related to dryness of the scalp (dilute before use)
RECOMMENDED: Tea Tree Essential Oil from Fushi
– Coconut oil – this is a widely used home remedy to cure a dry scalp. The oil naturally restores moisture to the scalp and prevents dryness and flakiness.
– Keep away from shampoos and conditioners (even those aimed at ‘dry scalp). These products can contain harmful ingredients, which can actually make your scalp worse.